MALIBU, Calif. - The Sewanee women's tennis team, ranked 12th in the country, were defeated by No. 12 Bowdoin and No. 4 Pomona-Pitzer by similar 7-2 decisions.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
Final Score, Match 1: Bowdoin (4-1) 7, Sewanee 2
Final Score, Match 2: Pomona-Pitzer (5-2), Sewanee (6-6) 2
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers
Women's Tennis Social Media | Twitter: @USouthTennis | Instagram: @Sewanee_Tennis
HOW IT HAPPENED - BOWDOIN
-Sewanee captured a win at the No. 1 flight in doubles before the Polar Bears won the No. 2 and 3 positions. Catherine Owen and Ellie Czura won their sixth match with an 8-4 win over Devon Wolfe and Julia Marks.
-In singles, Ellie Czura defeated her second nationally ranked opponent this season. She took down No. 45 Tasha Christ, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 2 position.
-The junior's previous win versus a ranked foe came against Carnegie Mellon's Jaime Vizelman, ranked 22nd in the country, on March 2.
1. Julia Marks (BOWDOIN) def. Catherine Owen (SEWANEE) 7-6 (4-0), 6-3
2. Ellie Czura (SEWANEE) def. #45 Tasha Christ (BOWDOIN) 6-1, 6-2
3. Devon Wolfe (BOWDOIN) def. Sara Thompson (SEWANEE) 6-3, 6-2
4. Izzy Essi (BOWDOIN) def. Haley Tucker (SEWANEE) 6-3, 6-3
5. Sasa Jovanovic (BOWDOIN) def. Mary Jane McCaghren (SEWANEE) 6-0, 6-3
6. Fleming Landau (BOWDOIN) def. Maura McCrary (SEWANEE) 6-0, 7-5
1. Catherine Owen/Ellie Czura (SEWANEE) def. Devon Wolfe/Julia Marks (BOWDOIN) 8-4
2. Izzy Essi/Tasha Christ (BOWDOIN) def. Kaylin Thompson/Taylor Sprouse (SEWANEE) 8-2
3. Fleming Landau/Sasa Jovanovic (BOWDOIN) def. Maura McCrary/Mary Jane McCaghren (SEWANEE) 8-1
HOW IT HAPPENED - POMONA-PITZER
-Against the Sagehens, the Tigers captured two wins in singles. At the No. 5 flight, Mary Jane McCaghren went to a tiebreak with Lucy Jiang with a 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (9) win.
-However, Catherine Owen earned her second victory over a nationally-ranked opponent at the No. 1 flight, taking down No. 5 Caroline Casper, 7-6 (5), 6-7 (5), 1-0 (4), in a tightly contested match.
-The sophomore previously took down No. 30 Libby Rickeman on March 3 against the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
1. Catherine Owen (SEWANEE) def. #5 Caroline Casper (PPC) 7-6 (5-0), 6-7 (0-5), 1-0 (4-0)
2. Maria Lyven (PPC) def. Ellie Czura (SEWANEE) 6-3, 6-2
3. Arianna Chen (PPC) def. Haley Tucker (SEWANEE) 6-2, 6-0
4. Margherita Andreassi (PPC) def. Sara Thompson (SEWANEE) 6-3, 6-0
5. Mary Jane McCaghren (SEWANEE) def. Lucy Jiang (PPC) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (9-0)
6. Rebecca Salaway (PPC) def. Maura McCrary (SEWANEE) 6-2, 6-1
1. Maria Lyven/Margherita Andreassi (PPC) def. Ellie Czura/Catherine Owen (SEWANEE) 8-5
2. Lucy Jiang/Arianna Chen (PPC) def. Mary Jane McCaghren/Maura McCrary (SEWANEE) 8-6
3. Jay Kim/Caroline Casper (PPC) def. Sara Thompson/Taylor Sprouse (SEWANEE) 8-2
The Tigers will next compete with No. 5 Williams on Tuesday. On Wednesday, Sewanee will tackle with No. 2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps and Hope International to conclude its spring break trip.